Before the Civil War, Black Christians belonged to the same churches as White Christians. After the War, whites encouraged blacks to form their own churches. A notable exception to the practice was the Providence Church. During the 1850s, a group of free blacks and slaves began holding their own meetings in homes and out in open areas. In 1854, the congregation joined the denomination of the United Church of Christ.
We seek to exalt Christ, edify the Congregation, and engage the Community through our commitment to prophetic preaching, authentic worship, radical hospitality and community engagement.
To be a community of faith that reflect the kingdom of God through empowerment, edification and engagement, through the intersectionality of word and worship, the intentionality of justice and witness, and the involvement of church and the community.
Rev. Ronnie Hall, Sr.
Sis. Ann McDonald